Map: Castles [Codenser]
Originally submitted by FruiteX.
Will be adding more detail, optimizing performance, fixing flow issues and unnecessary hiding spots.
Then passing it back to FruiteX for lighting tweaks and final compile.
#2 Updated by FruitieX over 4 years ago
Visuals need to be improved here for sure, many things like the topmost walls are very ugly iirc.
However as it was suggested, gameplay should be focused on.
I would suggest scaling the entire map down by maybe as much as 0.6x-0.75x (as q3map2 flag, do NOT do this in radiant please!), and making the small parts a bit bigger so that you can still fit through just fine. The castles remake as it is now is a bit too scaled up, and thus does not have the same fast gameplay feeling as the original map.
#6 Updated by Cuinnton over 4 years ago
- File castles_v2r2_beta.pk3 added
- Estimated time changed from 20.00 to 40.00
Can I please get everyone's opinions on this new layout. I have scaled the level much closer to the original, relocated the flag area and made many other tweaks.
The blue base is the side edited. I know there are a few graphics errors and silly sticking points, but I'm really interested in what people think of the new layout and weapon placement. There are many more paths to which you can retrieve the flag, while preventing the player form making 3 second caps across the top like the original.
DOWNLOAD THE SKYBOX DISTANT SUNSET IF NEEDED WITH MOST RECENT SHADER FILE
Also FruiteX feel free to do an edit. I'm having my 21st this w/e and am having some time off :)
#8 Updated by FruitieX over 4 years ago
Much better layout, one thing i noticed though was the vent pipe on the red side.... Are you going to get rid of this, or will you try to move it to the blue side somehow? (I'd want it, it's a nice idea!)
Doing some work on this when I find some time for that (probably wed)
#10 Updated by Cuinnton over 4 years ago
- Thankyou. i think the aim should be to make all entries and exits to base all equally advantaged. (One having a lot of health and amour, one having good weapons and one being stealthy for example.)
- I was experimenting with the vent. If you think you can fit one in with the new layout go for it. Otherwise ill give it a shot.
- the pipe "jump pads" need some steam coming out of them :)
- If you like you could release your next revision as v2r2 so we can get it tested on some servers.
- i agree a name change would be in order. i think if it is a level that will enter the game it should be a literal as possible. My artistic plan for this level was for it to be the apart of the cooling complex for a old nuclear reactor or something. In the _skybox i was thinking of inserting nuclear cooling towers towers. http://www.birchimages.co.uk/galleryimages/Power%20station%20cooling%20towers_1.jpg
so some names could be something along the lines of... cooling station, radiator, condenser. I quite like condenser
- as far a voting, when i vote dm_castle on a server for example all I have to type is 'vcall chmap dm'. Usually there are no problems with multiple versions or similar names on servers. its a shame tab doesn't work like it does with "map dm_castle"